Anointing the Sick
Any one of you who is ill should send for the elders of the Church, and they must anoint the sick person with oil in the name of the Lord and pray over him. The prayer of faith will save the sick person and the Lord will raise him up again; and if he has committed any sins, he will be forgiven.
- Letter of St James 5:14
Anointing of the Sick
- The Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick is available to anyone who is seriously or chronically ill, weakened by age, or threatened by major surgery. If an adult is sick enough to go to the doctor, they are sick enough to be anointed.
- Likewise, Communion calls to the housebound are made upon request.
- Please contact the parish office, (09) 534 8710, if you or your loved one is hospitalized or is in need of prayer, a visit in the hospital, Communion at home or Anointing. Do not think you are taking up our time; it is what we do.
- If you are checking someone into hospital, - including yourself - remember that hospital protocols do not always work as you might hope: -
- Record their religion as 'Roman Catholic' – some hospital computers do not know what a 'Catholic' is and don't refer them to the Catholic chaplain.
- Contact the chaplain directly and make sure the message got through.